[gst-devel] H.264 over MPEG2-TS

Michal Benes michal.benes at itonis.tv
Thu May 4 04:29:15 CEST 2006

Hi Navneet,

> However the output of the demuxer freezes at the first frame for a
> couple of my streams. I wasn't sure whether this was a result of a fault
> in the demuxer, or an incorrect stream and hence my question regarding
> valid H.264/MPEG2-TS streams.

	this problem may occur with some demuxers (not sure if flumpegts is the
case) when the stream timestamps do not start from 0. The first frame is
displayed in the pipe preroll phase, then the pipe just waits for a very
long time. I think, this could be fixed by sending proper new segments.

> Apart from the demuxer, I find the ffmpeg H.264 decoder element
> 'ffdec_h264' also fails for supposedly 'valid' raw H.264 streams with
> the following message:
>
> "....
> ERROR: from element /pipeline0/ffdec_h2640: Internal GStreamer error:
> negotiation problem.
> ffdec_h264: input format was not set before data start
> ERROR: pipeline doesn't want to preroll.
> ..."
> This was my pipeline:
> "gst-launch-0.10 filesrc location="filename.h264" ! ffdec_h264 !
> xvimagesink"

There are two problems:
first: all ff decoders require that their sink pad is negotiated and all
parameters are set (format, width, height, framerate) before they
process data. Caps filter may help here.
second: you will need h264 parser between filesrc and ffdec_h264

I have already written a h264 parser, would there be interest to add it
to the official gst plugins?

	Regards,

		Michal

> H.264 video inside an AVI container appears to work after passing
> through the 'avidemux' element.
>
> "gst-launch-0.10 filesrc location="filename.avi" ! avidemux name=d
> {d.video_00 ! ffdec_h264 ! xvimagesink}"
>

> In summary, it would be great if anyone could tell me the status of
> H.264 support in gstreamer (stability-wise), and whether there are any
> samples around that are known to play reliably.
>
> Regards,
> Navneet
>

> On Thu, 2006-05-04 at 10:21 +0200, Stéphane LOEUILLET wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'd say he's looking for AAC ES encapsulated in MPEG2 TS like in DVB HD.
> >
> > In usual DVB-S (Satelite), it's MPEG2 ES in MPEG2 TS. But with HD
> > coming, there is still one MPEG2 TS per transponder and MPEG2 or MPEG4
> > ES depending on the channel. (new ones in HD using MPEG4)
> >
> > I suppose that fluendo MPEG demuxer is the plugin to look at.
> > Early in its developement, I asked if adding MPEG4 ES to the list of
> > supported encapsulated stream was planned.
> >
> > Bye
> >
> > Stéphane Loeuillet
> > ��Rȧ:&q[yhv^yhipy
r!n}hꮉ%ފ{^y^r薈2쨺m欉ã	塧HŞm*azbqbt]5m