[gst-devel] Vorbis-tagging element

James "Doc" Livingston doclivingston at gmail.com
Sun May 14 01:00:43 CEST 2006

G'day everyone,

Recently I'd been working on a element for modifying tags vorbis
streams, currently aimed towards re-tagging in music players. It's
attached to bug 335635 and I was wondering if someone could take a look
at it, and possibly get it into -bad. The bug has a simple test app
attached, and Rhythmbox from cvs can also use it to re-tag Ogg Vorbis
files.

I've got a few questions about how it should work in certain situations,
and I haven't found any other elements that operate in a similar enough
fashion to copy.

1) Most other elements merge tags from events and the ones set on the
GstTagger interface. The vorbistag element needs to use the tags that in
the vorbis stream, so how should it do a three-way-merge of the tags?

Currently I've got it ignoring tag events, because that was simpler and
they shouldn't occur in simple "retag a music file" application.

2) What kind of tests would be appropriate?

Something like "audiotestsrc ! vorbisenc ! vorbistag ! vorbisdec" and
checking that the output tags were correct would be good. Is there
anything else that I should write?

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston
--
"We are a dumbassocracy. Anyone dumb enough to get off of their ass and
volunteer/do something is welcome to do so." -- Matthew Rice