[gst-devel] Re: Regarding GStreamer/Cupid

Ronald S. Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Wed May 17 05:20:08 CEST 2006

Hi Vidhu,

On Wed, 2006-05-17 at 10:51 +0100, Vidhu Bennie wrote:
> 1) Is this the latest version (0.0.2) available for cupid..?? If a
> newer version than 0.0.2 is available, from where can i get the
> same..??

Yes.

> 2) Is there any activity happenning right now towards cupid..??

No.

> 3) Is there any other recorder ( audio/video capture with sync from
> microphone and webcam) solution available now, which uses
> GStreamer ..??

Nothing desktop-related, I'm affraid.

> 4) Does 0.0.2 version of cupid uses GStreamer0.8 or 10.4 ..??

0.8.

> 5) Is there any port of cupid for GStreamer10.4 and above available

No.

I consider Cupid a failed experiment. I've tried to create a video
capturing solution that looks good and does not use any hacks for stupid
GStreamer bugs (apart from threading-related ones) for something like
three years. I've never been able to even get close to something that
worked anywhere near stable, using any GStreamer version, regardless of
how many bugs I fixed or reported. At some point I just lost interest
myself and decided to do something else. Maybe I'll get back to it some
day.

It works somewhat acceptably on GStreamer 0.8, as long as you don't
change too many settings without restarting Cupid. Feel free to install
GStreamer-0.8 and give it a try. Also, try to capture in popular formats
like avi/mpeg4 or h264/quicktime or mpeg4/quicktime. Those are
well-tested and don't crash. Other capture combinations may randomly
crash or do unexpected things. Feel free to file bugs, I can't assure
you I'll look at them anytime soon, though. I'm working on my studies
nowadays.

Cheers,
Ronald