[gst-devel] Re: GStreamer and the desktop release

Vincent Untz vuntz at gnome.org
Thu May 18 01:39:19 CEST 2006

Le mercredi 17 mai 2006 à 17:43 -0600, Elijah Newren a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I made a dumb mistake and forgot to update my scripts to check for the
> gstreamer and gst-plugins-(base|good) versions from ftp.gnome.org
> instead of gstreamer.freedesktop.org.  The latter has 1-2 newer
> versions of each module than what is found on f.g.o.  Problem is, I
> already tested the 2.15.2 release with those newer tarballs.  Given
> that there isn't much time left before we'd like to make the release
> (we would have liked to have made it already, in fact...), I don't
> want to rebuild everything to see if it works with older tarballs. So:
>   - does anyone know if there are any desktop modules depending on
> versions of gstreamer or gst-plugins-* newer than the ones on
> ftp.gnome.org?
>   - if that's a difficult question to answer, can we just get the
> newest tarballs uploaded to ftp.gnome.org?  or would that cause
> potential problems of some kind?

I'll let GStreamer people answer this :-)

> Also, now is as good a time as any to bring up Luis' suggestion from
> last cycle: http://mail.gnome.org/archives/release-team/2006-March/msg00192.html.
>  Should GStreamer be moved to the platform or removed from the release
> set altogether and be considered an external dependency?

I strongly oppose to those solutions: we want GStreamer in our platform
(so the external dependency way is not a solution), but it means API/ABI
guarantee, which only GStreamer 1.0 will offer. I'd obviously like this
to be ASAP, but I guess GStreamer people are already doing their
best :-)

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.