[gst-devel] Re: GStreamer and the desktop release

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Thu May 18 03:47:19 CEST 2006

On Thu, 2006-05-18 at 08:25 +0200, Vincent Untz wrote:
> Le mercredi 17 mai 2006 à 17:43 -0600, Elijah Newren a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > I made a dumb mistake and forgot to update my scripts to check for the
> > gstreamer and gst-plugins-(base|good) versions from ftp.gnome.org
> > instead of gstreamer.freedesktop.org.  The latter has 1-2 newer
> > versions of each module than what is found on f.g.o.  Problem is, I
> > already tested the 2.15.2 release with those newer tarballs.  Given
> > that there isn't much time left before we'd like to make the release
> > (we would have liked to have made it already, in fact...), I don't
> > want to rebuild everything to see if it works with older tarballs. So:
> >   - does anyone know if there are any desktop modules depending on
> > versions of gstreamer or gst-plugins-* newer than the ones on
> > ftp.gnome.org?
> >   - if that's a difficult question to answer, can we just get the
> > newest tarballs uploaded to ftp.gnome.org?  or would that cause
> > potential problems of some kind?

sorry.  It's just our fault, simple human error.  We were uploading
tarballs before just fine, but due to a) a change in how we release
stuff (automate more, write more scripts, ...) and b) us trying to get
more people involved in actually releasing this just fell of the radar.

I personally would proceed as we did before.  We should upload these
tarballs.

> > Also, now is as good a time as any to bring up Luis' suggestion from
> > last cycle: http://mail.gnome.org/archives/release-team/2006-March/msg00192.html.
> >  Should GStreamer be moved to the platform or removed from the release
> > set altogether and be considered an external dependency?
>
> I strongly oppose to those solutions: we want GStreamer in our platform
> (so the external dependency way is not a solution), but it means API/ABI
> guarantee, which only GStreamer 1.0 will offer. I'd obviously like this
> to be ASAP, but I guess GStreamer people are already doing their
> best :-)

I would also not change anything here.  Every GStreamer stable series
offers a stable API/ABI.  Every time we feel GNOME should move to a new
one (which isn't very often - once every sixteen months on average
looking at the history) we will discuss it with GNOME and work something
out together.

Thomas