[gst-devel] testing the plugin limits for bluetooth

Stefan Kost ensonic at hora-obscura.de
Tue May 23 13:20:11 CEST 2006

Hi Brad,

Am Donnerstag, den 18.05.2006, 12:52 -0700 schrieb Brad Midgley:
> Hi
>
> I've been reading the app programming manual. Things look really good.
>
> We want to be able to build a sharable and hot-pluggable bluetooth audio
> architecture. Can I write plugins and assemble them to get this in
> gstreamer?

while all this is technically possible, it would be good if you can give
some more detail about use cases. See below for inline comments.

> * User can connect a bluetooth set; when that happens, audio streams in
> progress that were going to the regular audio out go to the headset as
> well without interruption.
If you wan't this e.g. in a voip application it could create a second
alsasink using the bluetooth headset when the headset gets connected and
switch them on-the-fly. It could keep the old sink to switch back later
if needed. It certainly makes a good testcase for gstreamer :)

> * Audio sent by multiple apps gets mixed and is transmitted to the
> headset by a single process/thread.
can one use dmix via a bluetooth device? Gstreamer provides mainly
interprocess stuff.

> I'm trying to make a case to a palmsource developer for doing all the
> bluetooth audio stuff natively in gstreamer (as opposed to using our
> alsa plugin indirectly)... any help here would be great for steering
> that effort.

What is the problem with a bluetooth headset appearing as an
alsa-device? Imho this is the way to go and then use gst on the
appliation level.

> Brad

Stefan