[gst-devel] Does ffmux_mov support muxing both audio and video?

Ronald S. Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Wed Nov 8 15:41:47 CET 2006

On Wed, 2006-11-08 at 06:23 -0800, Deeptendu Bikash wrote:
> I found out that my pipeline was actually muxing both audio and video,
> despite gstreamer giving that error. Also gstreamer playbin itself was not
> capable of playing the movie. VLC player could play it, though it got the
> duration wrong. Quicktime could not play it. So I guess it again boils down
> to the bug/s in ffmpeg regarding handling audio duration which we discussed
> in another mail thread. So let me start looking into it.

You need to set the global header flag in the AVCodecContext of
ffenc_mpeg4 for Quicktime to play it back. Without it, ffmpeg doesn't
write the esds atom, which makes the MPEG-4 stream embeddable in .avi,
for example (e.g. divx). However, Quicktime doesn't eat MPEG-4 without
global headers (esds atoms).

You can autodetect this by seeing whether the caps of the output video
(in ffenc_mpeg4) is video/x-divx or video/mpeg,mpegversion=4. With that
flag set, Quicktime will be able to play back the resulting stream also
(I confirmed this with the 0.8 version, it shouldn't differ nowadays in
0.10).

Ronald