[gst-devel] disabling parts of a pipeline while it runs? (help me I'm a noob!)

Zaheer Merali zaheermerali at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 13:22:29 CET 2006

On 11/13/06, Alex Mac <lots.of.mailing.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 13/11/06, Michal Benes <michal.benes at itonis.tv> wrote:
> > Hi Alex,
> >
> > > Using a simple pipeline like this  "dvbsrc --> filesink" I can easily
> > > record from a dvb device. However I want the ability to seamlessly
> > > start streaming from that dvbsrc over the network so stopping the
> > > pipline and reconfiguring it is not an option.
> >
> >         what dvbsrc are you using? I know there was a source for GStreamer 0.8,
> > but I do not know of anything for 0.10.
>
> it got added to gst-plugins-bad just a few weeks ago
>
> > > That seems ok, but I'm not sure how to handle turning off each of the
> > > branches while the pipeline is going. Can I simply unlink one of the
> > > things connected to the tee and relink it when I want it to start
> > > again?
> >
> >         This can be a bit tricky see other thread about pad blocking. Also try
> > to understand pad activation and pad modes (push, pull). It is always
> > well defined which pad creates the actual processing thread.
>
> alright, I'll have to go read up on that in the manual, no doubt I'll
> be back with more questions :)
>
> > > Also I'm not exactly sure the best way to stream the data over the
> > > network using gstreamer, I know I want to use udp so I can multicast
> > > but when I tried setting up two pipelines using udpsrc and udpsink the
> > > output was corrupted. putting "sync=false" on the xvimagesink seemed
> > > to make it less corrupted but still not ok (btw the files I was using
> > > played fine without the udp bits)
> >
> >         I am having a similar problem. Are you running both pipes (udpsrc and
> > udpsink) on the same machine? Right now, I do not have a solution.
>
> yeah, so it cant be a problem with packets being lost over the network.

You can look at flumotion-dvb which uses dvbsrc.  It is in flumotion's
public svn repository.  It does exactly what you want.

Note due to a bug live sources -> sinks synched to clock does not work
well, there is no latency offset code yet for the sinks.  There is an
open bug in gstreamer bugzilla about this.

If you need help on dvb ping me (zaheerm) on irc in #gstreamer on freenode.

Zaheer