[gst-devel] Linux audio is a mess? [was: JACK and GStreamer, from the horse's mouth]

Lennart Poettering mztfg at 0pointer.de
Thu Nov 30 17:37:49 CET 2006

On Thu, 30.11.06 18:02, Zeeshan Ali (zeenix at gstreamer.net) wrote:

> Hello guys!
>    Just one small question to Lennart:
>
> >Most Unix programs have been programmed under the assumption that they
> >talk directly to the hardware. That was traditionally OK, but nowadays
> >this becomes a problem: you might want to stream its output to other
> >apps. You might want to adjust the volume of each playback stream
> >individually. You might want to reroute audio output from one output
> >device to another one while is playing. You might want to output audio
> >on more than a single device at the same time. You might want to send
> >audio to a different machine on the network. You might want to
> >multicast audio on your net. However, that all is not possible with
> >just ALSA.
>
>   Aren't most of these tasks too high-level for a low-level thing
> like ALSA? MAS tried to address all these issues and they ended-up
> re-inventing the wheel (gstreamer) and now nobody seem to even
> remember if that project ever existed.

Sure they are too high-level. That's why I am working on PulseAudio
which implements all this. And that's why I am arguing that ALSA is
not "the solution" like Ronald suggested.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering; lennart [at] poettering [dot] net
ICQ# 11060553; GPG 0x1A015CC4; http://0pointer.net/lennart/