[gst-devel] Linux audio is a mess? [was: JACK and GStreamer, from the horse's mouth]

Zeeshan Ali zeenix at gstreamer.net
Thu Nov 30 17:53:27 CET 2006

Hi again!

> >   Aren't most of these tasks too high-level for a low-level thing
> > like ALSA? MAS tried to address all these issues and they ended-up
> > re-inventing the wheel (gstreamer) and now nobody seem to even
> > remember if that project ever existed.
>
> Sure they are too high-level. That's why I am working on PulseAudio
> which implements all this. And that's why I am arguing that ALSA is
> not "the solution" like Ronald suggested.

   You missed my point: All we need is a way to allow all the
applications to access the same audio device at the same time, whether
it's alsa's dmix or a sound server that does the task. Application
wanting to do cool stuff like writing to more than one device at the
same time, recording to a file while playing the audio stream at the
same time, streaming to the network etc etc, it can do all that with
the help of nice mm frameworks like gstreamer and IMHO should not be a
concern of alsa or a sound server (or whatever you call it). So in
short, I agree with Ronald except that i realize the fact that ALSA
(Advanced *Linux* Sound Arch.) is a very platform-specific solution.
:(

--
Regards,

Zeeshan Ali,