[gst-devel] Using gst-launch to convert between video formats on the command line?

Michael R. Head burner at suppressingfire.org
Fri Oct 27 13:02:18 CEST 2006

OK, I finally solved (most of) my gst-launch troubles. Here's what I
finally came up with:

gst-launch-0.10 --trace -m -v filesrc location=in.mkv ! matroskademux \
name=d d. ! queue ! faad ! lame  ! m.  d.video_00 ! queue ! m.video_00 \
avimux name=m ! filesink location=out.avi

I now understand that the .video_00 suffixes are necessary because the
pipeline can't otherwise figure out that we're looking for the video
channel because there's no video element inserted between the demux and
the mux (whereas there is an audio transcode step in the audio
subpipeline).

Still, I do have a leftover issue with the outputted file. The audio is
severely out of sync with the video (by as much as 2 minutes by the end
of the file). In order to fix this, I have been running out.avi through
avidemux (copying the audio and video channels) in order to rebuild the
keyframes and to tweak the framerate (the file tells gstreamer it's 23
fps, but it's really 23.976.

Is it possible to tweak my pipeline so that gstreamer builds the
keyframes and forces the framerate to be 23.976?

Thanks again,
mike