[gst-devel] streaming mpeg2 from a pc to a set top box

Mario Latronico mario.latronico at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 18:46:27 CEST 2007

Hello,
i would like to set up a streaming solution between a pc and a set top box.
The first is a normal x86 PC running Linux , and the second is a Mips
based set top box (STB) also running Linux (it is the Dreambox 7025,
which has a basic GStreamer setup installed).

The set top box hasn't any codec installed except for mpeg2 which is
used by DVB standard, so i need to convert a video stream from my pc
to MPEG2-TS that can be read by the STB.

| followed the RTP readme instructions, but i don't know how to set a
correct pipeline on the server side

I tried the following gst-launch command line on the Set top box (the client):

root at dm7025:~# gst-launch-0.10 -v udpsrc port=5554 ! rtpmp2tdepay !
flutsdemux ! dvbvideosink

Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
Pipeline is live and does not need PREROLL ...
Setting pipeline to PLAYING ...
New clock: GstSystemClock

and in the server:

mario at mario-laptop:~$ /home/mario/apps/gstreamer/bin/gst-launch-0.10
videotestsrc ! ffenc_mpeg2video ! rtpmp2tpay ! udpsink
host=10.14.101.184 port=5554
WARNING: erroneous pipeline: could not link ffenc_mpeg2video0 to rtpmp2tpay0

What i'm doing wrong ?

I know i need to set caps string on the client side , but i need to
set before a correct string on the server side.

Is there a better solution ? I tried also with RTSP and VLC but
without any results.

Thank you for your attention and support !!!

Mario