[gst-devel] Storing video over RTSP to disk. Please, help to determine plans.

Vladimir Eremeev wl2776 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 18:03:39 CET 2007

Hi all.
I am going to develop an application, receiving video data through RTSP and
storing it to disk.

I would like to define if the GStreamer is a right choise and the best way
to get started.

Possible codecs would be MPEG-2 and MJPEG.

Unfortunately I was unable to find any mentions about MJPEG.

Another issue.

Command

  gst-launch rtspsrc location="rtsp:// blah-blah-blah" debug=true
protocols=udp-unicast ! fakesink

has shown that my RTSP server redirects clients to other URLs, and rtspsrc
doesn't handle the server response 302 (Moved Temporarily) and returns the
error.

I am not very familiar with GStreamer internals.

Could the situation with server response be handled in my application?
Or, should I add the code to the respective plugin?
Where should I look for MJpeg support?

I would like to quickly start writing the application.

GStreamer is rather well documented and its thread-safety is appealing.
I considered FFmpeg, it is much less documented and not thread-safe.

Could you also be so kind to provide me with some code snippets, showing how
to handle the RTSP stream, extract MPEG2TS data from it and extract video
data from them?

Thank you very much in advance.