[gst-devel] Game-style audio

Steve Fink sphink at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 18:53:23 CEST 2007

On 6/1/07, Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller <uraeus at linuxrising.org> wrote:
> Hi Steve,
> We do not have a very long history of use in games for sound effects
> etc, but it is an area we would love to know we cover well. But if you
> are not prepared to debug any issues then SDL as Michal mentions is
> probably a safer choice.

Well, I'm using SDL now, and I'm having to debug issues with it anyway. :-)

> The only game use I know of currently is gnome-games which uses
> GStreamer for its sounds. You find the code here:
> http://svn.gnome.org/svn/gnome-games/trunk/libgames-support/games-sound.c

Hm. It spawns off a new thread for each sound, and it looks like it
loads and decodes (or at least demuxes) a fresh ogg file every time
you fire off a sound. That seems... "nonoptimal" from a latency point
of view. I could try it, since it's certainly easy, but I'm guessing
my application at least is too much of a resource hog already to allow
that approach to work very well.

Thanks!
Steve