[gst-devel] Proposal: New BaseMuxer class

Michal Benes michal.benes at itonis.tv
Wed Mar 7 17:36:45 CET 2007

Hello,

	there have been a discussion about subtitle support in muxers some time
ago. The main problem is new-segment handling in GstCollectPads. I
propose a new class GstMuxer (subclass of GstCollectPads) which is
designed as GstCollectPads replacement in muxers and which makes
subtitle implementation easy.

	I have also added new function gst_collect_pads_set_waiting to
collectpads, which enables to set the pad to a non-waiting mode, when
collecpads is not blocked when the particular pad has not data.

	I know, this is rather big API addition and it needs to be well tested
and discussed. I am open to any comments.

	Please, do not let this patch to rot in bugzilla it took quite a lot of
work to get it done and I think that subtitle support in a framework
like GStreamer is much needed.

	Best regards,

		Michal

PS.: I am not a complete stranger to GStreamer muxing. I have ported
ffmpegmux and matroskamux to gst 0.10, and I have implemented subtitle
support for matroska and ITonis mpegts muxer (might be opensourced
soon).