[gst-devel] unable to play mpeg TS containing H.264 and AAC using playbin on commandline through gst-launch ... help !!

Mrukant Popat mpopat at pioneer-pra.com
Thu Oct 11 04:21:31 CEST 2007

Dear community,

I have and MPEG4 file (MPEG4 container file format) which has H.264 and
AAC media streams in it.

when I use this command

gst-launch-0.10 -v playbin uri=file:///pathtofile/file.mp4

it plays very well without any problems.

I used ffmpeg to transcode the same file into MPEG TS (transport stream)
and this TS also contains H.264 and AAC only.

again when I used

gst-launch-0.10 -v playbin uri=file:///pathtofile/file.ts

command to play the TS file, it does _not_ play. Any ideas??

playbin uses flutsdemux (gst-fluendo-mpegdemux) plugin to demux TS and
ffdec_h264 from gst-ffmpeg plugin.

>From preliminary investigation I think playbin is not calling or is not
able to call gst-ffmpeg at all in the TS case as I do not see any debug
statements from ffmpeg inspite of enabling the debugs. But when I try to
playback MPEG4 file (MPEG4 container file format) it prints huge debugs
from gst-ffmpeg which shows that ffdec_h264 is called in MPEG4 file
format case and not in TS case.

regards,
Mrukant