[gst-devel] reading RTSP streams

Ákos Maróy darkeye at tyrell.hu
Sat Sep 8 16:02:57 CEST 2007

Hi,

I wonder how can I read & process RTSP streams with gstreamer. I see
that there's an RTSP plugin at
http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/gst-plugins-good-plugins/html/gst-plugins-good-plugins-plugin-rtsp.html

I tried, according to the step described here:
http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/gst-plugins-good-plugins/html/gst-plugins-good-plugins-rtspsrc.html

to test very basically like this:

 gst-launch-0.10 rtspsrc location=rtsp://localhost/test.mov ! filesink
location=/tmp/dump

but the dump file I get seems to be some sort of binary garbage (not the
video file I was hoping to get). I can read the same RTSP URL with other
media players, mplayer for example - so the URL seems to be OK

I also get some warnings:

$ gst-launch-0.10 rtspsrc location=rtsp://localhost/test.mov ! filesink
location=/tmp/dump
Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
Pipeline is live and does not need PREROLL ...
Setting pipeline to PLAYING ...
New clock: GstSystemClock

(gst-launch-0.10:12754): GStreamer-WARNING **: pad rtpdec1:sinkrtp
returned caps which are not a real subset of its template caps

(gst-launch-0.10:12754): GStreamer-WARNING **: pad rtpdec0:sinkrtp
returned caps which are not a real subset of its template caps

I'm using gstreamer 0.10.11.

Can anyone give me a sample of how to use the RTSP plugin? either
gst-launch sample or C source code...

thanks,

Akos