[gst-devel] Text representation of a pipeline

Daniel Lenski dlenski at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 17:13:52 CEST 2007

On 9/14/07, Jerome Alet <alet at librelogiciel.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 13, 2007 at 05:51:34PM -0400, Daniel Lenski wrote:
> >
> > I just wrote a python routine to do this, which could be
> > straightforwardly translated to C if you like.  It prints out a GST
> > element (recursively if it's a bin or pipeline), describing each
> > element's pads and what they link to, and the negotiated or possible
> > capabilities of those pads.  The output looks something like this:
>
> Particlaly based on your work I've written gst2dot.py available at :
>
>         http://cortex.unice.fr/~jerome/gst2dot/
>
> This Python program converts GStreamer pipelines into Graphviz dot
> files, suitable to create a graphical representation of any running
> pipeline.

Great work!  I had never heard of graphviz before, but this is a
really useful way to visualize pipelines I think.  The "dotty"
command-line program pops up an X-window with the graph, which is
really helpful.

A couple of small fixes to your program:
* it needs to do "import gst" in order to use some of the constants
and class types
* it barfs if peerelement is None

I am working on improving it to put bins in subgraphs and to show
ghostpad connections in a pleasing way...

Dan