[gst-devel] Text representation of a pipeline

Jerome Alet alet at librelogiciel.com
Fri Sep 14 18:38:06 CEST 2007

On Fri, Sep 14, 2007 at 11:13:52AM -0400, Daniel Lenski wrote:

> Great work!  I had never heard of graphviz before, but this is a
> really useful way to visualize pipelines I think.  The "dotty"
> command-line program pops up an X-window with the graph, which is
> really helpful.
>
> A couple of small fixes to your program:
> * it needs to do "import gst" in order to use some of the constants
> and class types
> * it barfs if peerelement is None
>
> I am working on improving it to put bins in subgraphs and to show
> ghostpad connections in a pleasing way...

Great !

I worked a bit on this in June/July but couldn't make it work as
expected, so I created some graphs manually. Your post gave me the
missing bits.

The published version doesn't display src and sink pads, unlike the patch
for which Tim sent the URL, because I thought simpler schemas were
better, but maybe this could be a runtime option.

Also generating the dot file has to be done when the pipeline is
entirely in playing state otherwise some elements might appear being
unconnected. But maybe a nice video sequence could be produced by
repeatedly generating several dot files in a loop from the time the
pipeline is constructed until it is destroyed.

bye

Jerome Alet