[gst-devel] why/when are state changes needed in dynamically modified pipelines?

Andy Wingo wingo at pobox.com
Fri Sep 14 23:10:23 CEST 2007

On Thu 13 Sep 2007 06:26, "Daniel Lenski" <dlenski at gmail.com> writes:

> On 9/12/07, Andy Wingo <wingo at pobox.com> wrote:
>>
>> In READY you know that no data is flowing; you can always link things
>> then.
>
> Thank you, Andy!  This is very helpful.  So, as a novice, I can
> reliably create dynamic streams as long as I place them into the READY
> state before linking in the new elements?  Why is it that after
> linking the those new elements, I can put the stream into either
> PAUSED or PLAYING state... with the same effect apparently?

Not very dynamic if you go to READY; in addition to stopping streaming,
it resets most codecs' internal state, resets the stream time, closes
devices, etc.

If you want to modify a pipeline as it is running, you will have to
become friendly with gst_pad_set_blocked_async.

Cheers,

Andy.
--
http://wingolog.org/