[gst-devel] Gstreamer and Hardware Acceleration

Christopher Halse Rogers chalserogers at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 06:20:22 CEST 2008

On 7/31/08, Ling Shi <shil66 at gmail.com> wrote:
> As I know, no such plugin. You need write it yourself.

There is the gst-plugins-gl work; my understanding is that it should
allow you to write GLSL shader code to do decoding on (sufficiently
recent) video hardware.
http://www.nabble.com/gst-plugins-gl-status-and-direction-to18479067.html#a18479067

The impression I've picked up of XvMC is that no one really cares
about it because it's not very suitable for the sort of decoding work
that you need acceleration for: it supports mpeg2 decoding fine, but
isn't particularly suited to h264 (aka mpeg4 avc) or VC-1 decoding.
There is at least one XvMC-like interface being worked on by Intel, I
think, but I don't know of anything that supports it or what it's
status is.