[gst-devel] Can a MPEG-1 with Audio Layers 1&2 plugin be in plugins-good (patentwise)?

jjcogliati-gstreamer at yahoo.com jjcogliati-gstreamer at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 26 04:56:04 CEST 2008

The only MPEG-1 patent listed in the ISO patent database has expired.  But there still could be patents since before 1995 in the US, patents expired the longer of 20 years after being filed or 17 years after being granted.  So if a patent was filed in 1990, it would not expire till at least 2010 and if the patent office was slow to grant the patent, it could take even longer.