[gst-devel] Can a MPEG-1 with Audio Layers 1&2 plugin be in plugins-good (patentwise)?

Gabriel Bouvigne gabriel.bouvigne at joost.com
Wed Aug 27 12:25:06 CEST 2008

David Schleef a écrit :

> MPEG-1 audio layer 2 has never been patent encumbered, encoding or
> decoding.  There just isn't a good library that has been wrapped.

Mpeg-1 audio Layer II is covered by some Patents from Philips (and
possibly other companies, Philips is just the one that immediately came
to my mind), and Mpeg-2 Layer II even more.
There was not much public noise about them because it was not
commercially worth it and it was better to use those patents to gather
fees/settlements from Layer III implementors/sellers/distributors.

--
Gabriel