[gst-devel] Regarding Seek events.

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Tue Dec 9 19:16:42 CET 2008

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 4:26 AM, Sumanth V <sumanth.v at allaboutif.com> wrote:

> But if i want to perform PAUSE operation can i do that by setting the rate
> to 0.0, is this allowed. I dont want PAUSE
> the whole pipeline, since i want the LIVE data to be read by the file source
> and this data has to be stored by my
> plugin .
> How can i achive the PAUSE operation with out PAUSING the whole pipeline.

Setting rate to 0 is not permitted. Pausing the pipeline is the right
thing to do - and does exactly what you want.

When paused, the sinks (e.g. audio and video sinks) do not play any
audio/video, but the rest of the pipeline continues to run - queues
fill up, etc. For your use-case, this should work fine - your filesrc
and your new element will behave identically in paused and playing.

Mike