[gst-devel] httpsink-equivalent ?

Wouter Cloetens wouter at mind.be
Mon Feb 4 22:46:22 CET 2008

On Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at 01:16:21AM +0100, Florent wrote:
> I was wondering: would it be a good idea to implement some httpserversink ?

Yes.
:-)

> * If so, where to start ? :)
> http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/academic/class/15213-f00/www/tiny/tiny.c
> ? http://dclib.sourceforge.net/network.html#http ? Anyone knowing a
> suitable, interesting tiny http webserver library ?
> * If not, why is that much of a bad idea ? I mean, installing a whole
> flumotion for streaming a pipeline over http seems a bit... Overkill.

Well, libsoup, upon which the souphttpsrc plug-in is based, has support
for operation as an HTTP server. I'm considering writing a souphttpsink
some time in the next couple of months. It also supports HTTPS.

Now, downsides to an httpsink could be having to worry about security.
An Apache module, for instance, may not have to worry about HTTPS,
client/server certificates, basic authentication, cookie-based request
authorisation, as well as deferring HTTP security worries to a tested,
proven and audited-outside-of-GStreamer web server. OTOH, the footprint
of Apache is too large for some applications.

bfn, Wouter