[gst-devel] gst-ffmpeg & decodebin

Tom Cooksey thomas.cooksey at trolltech.com
Wed Feb 6 20:49:25 CET 2008

> > There's still the issue of codecs where it's ffmpeg or nothing. If
> > there's no alternetive, I still think GStreamer should try ffmpeg,
> > emiting the appropriate warnings.
>
>   The rule is as follow: If we know there's an alternative decoder for a
> given format, we set the rank of the ffmpeg plugin for that decoder to
> NONE, else we set it to MARGINAL.
>   GST_RANK_MARGINAL implies that there is a better plugin out there.
Surely NONE implies there's a better plugin out there? MARGINAL implies there
isn't anything better?

>   Exceptions: Mpeg4, h264 and cook are primary, because they are the
> best decoders out ther.
Right, so for codecs which ffmpeg has the best/only support for, ffmpeg IS
used. Good.

I guess I'm a minority case. I also get the impression people have been
blindly touting "gstreamer sux" because an external plugin caused
applications to crash. Wow... that must have been very fustrating - you have
my sympathy.

For my small case, where ffmpeg works and I want to use it, how would you
recomend I proceed? I know I can patch gstffmpegdec.c & gstffmpegdemux.c, but
is there another way? Can I edit ~/.gstreamer-0.10/registry.xxxx.xml ? Will
this be re-generated everytime a plugin is upgraded/installed/uninstalled? Is
there any way to override the rank at runtime?

Cheers,

Tom