[gst-devel] gst-ffmpeg & decodebin

Edward Hervey bilboed at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 19:55:47 CET 2008

On Wed, 2008-02-06 at 20:49 +0100, Tom Cooksey wrote:
> > > There's still the issue of codecs where it's ffmpeg or nothing. If
> > > there's no alternetive, I still think GStreamer should try ffmpeg,
> > > emiting the appropriate warnings.
> >
> >   The rule is as follow: If we know there's an alternative decoder for a
> > given format, we set the rank of the ffmpeg plugin for that decoder to
> > NONE, else we set it to MARGINAL.
> >   GST_RANK_MARGINAL implies that there is a better plugin out there.
> Surely NONE implies there's a better plugin out there? MARGINAL implies there
> isn't anything better?

  No, we set them to NONE because we WANT people to use the other
plugins ! This is beyond the point of this thread, but to put it simply,
it's a Pain in the *** to maintain the ffmpeg subset, so we try to limit
the default usage of the ffmpeg plugins.
  For those for which there are no alternatives, we put it to MARGINAL
so that *IF* somebody writes another non-ffmpeg plugin for that format,
he/we can set it to a higher rank and people will be able to enjoy the
pleasure of well supported plugins.