[gst-devel] best way to internally represent an image

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Tue Feb 26 01:24:20 CET 2008

Florent wrote:
> Hi
>
>>  2. Interface with a program or a library that can dump a movie on the
>>  disc in some nice universal format (MPEG2, MPEG4, etc, 480p, 1080p, or
>>  user-defined such as 1024x768, etc.) regardless of whether I'll actually
>>  use Gstreamer for that purpose or not (but the likeliest candidate at
>>  this moment is Gstreamer, it's really nice and powerful)
>
> 3D capture (from real time rendering) is tricky, especially for high
> resolutions, and especially when you want to capture using GStreamer
> (there's no such thing as a glReadPixels src element for gst yet).

Well, all I care about is the area being displayed, and that's 2D. The
entire 3D magic happens in the math engine, before the bitmap is
constructed.

> As for a simple solution for dumping, check out libseom [1]
> If you want to capture "by hand" into gstreamer, you might have to
> check apprsc [2]

I would be content to run the app in two separate modes: display (show
the scene on the screen, no movie file generated) and render (generate a
movie file, nothing is displayed). I guess that shouldn't be too
complicated, right?

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/