[gst-devel] W64 Playback

Sebastian Dröge slomo at circular-chaos.org
Tue Feb 26 06:59:40 CET 2008

Am Montag, den 25.02.2008, 19:42 +0100 schrieb Esben Stien:
> Stefan Kost <ensonic at hora-obscura.de> writes:
>
> > What is a 'w64' file.
>
> It's the default file format for timemachine[0]; a 64 bit
> wave?. Aqualung[1] is able to play it, though.
>
> [0]http://plugin.org.uk/timemachine/
> [1]http://aqualung.factorial.hu/
>
> > Can you make one available.
>
> http://www.esben-stien.name/test.w64

Our typefinder at least knows about it already. It seems to be a
RIFF/WAVE file, containing 64 bit integer samples. I might be wrong
though, needs further investigation.

I wonder why we have a separate type, audio/x-w64, for this instead of
just having this as audio/x-wav... adding support for this requires
a) changes in libgstriff (to support 64 bit integer samples)
b) changes in the typefind plugin and remove the audio/x-w64 type (or
change wavparse to support that too)
c) changes in audioconvert (at least) to support converting int64 to
something else (at least). Or better support for converting everything
to and from int64.

Best would be to file a bug about this :)