[gst-devel] W64 Playback

Kai Vehmanen kv2004 at eca.cx
Wed Feb 27 21:08:56 CET 2008

Hi,

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008, Sebastian Dröge wrote:

>> http://www.esben-stien.name/test.w64
> Our typefinder at least knows about it already. It seems to be a
> RIFF/WAVE file, containing 64 bit integer samples. I might be wrong
> though, needs further investigation.

RIFF has the unfortunate limitation that chunk size header field is a
32bit value, and thus you cannot have more than 4GB in a single RIFF/WAVE
file. And for many uses (like timemachine), you'll stumble on this
limitation all the time. So as a result, you have W64 (and RF64, which is
different btw) that extend the header. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAV.

I've used libsndfile to add W64 support to my own apps (and I guess that's
what timemachine is using as well).

--
  links, my public keys, etc at http://eca.cx/kv