[gst-devel] image metadata on GStreamer

Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak mjc at avtechpulse.com
Thu Jan 31 14:14:13 CET 2008

Edgard Lima wrote:
> Hello guys,
>
> I have written a plugin to read and write metadata (EXIF, IPTC and XMP)
> to image files (JPEG and PNG)
>
> The plugin is at:
>
> http://webcvs.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gst-plugins-bad/ext/metadata/
>
> Before you compile it if have to install some of the following lib
> (apt-get install should work):
>
> http://libiptcdata.sourceforge.net/
> http://libexif.sourceforge.net/
> http://libopenraw.freedesktop.org/wiki/Exempi

Edgard,

Could I strongly suggest that you use exiv2 instead? libexif is poorly
maintained and crash prone, in my experience. exiv2 supports xmp, iptc,
exif, and raw files, all in one library. For an example of how we are
using it in the trunk version of gthumb, see
http://svn.gnome.org/viewvc/gthumb/trunk/libgthumb/gth-exiv2-utils.cpp?view=markup.
We are using it very successfully, even though the exiv2 api is C++, and
gthumb is C. The exiv2 maintainer is very responsive.

Tag reading is quite simple with exiv2, as the above file shows.

- Mike