[gst-devel] GStreamer switching to git

Jan Schmidt thaytan at noraisin.net
Thu Jul 10 11:42:36 CEST 2008

On Thu, 2008-07-10 at 09:55 +0100, Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller
wrote:
> I think Davids points basically sums up the discussion at the meeting.
> The discussion was not 'which is the ultimate VCS system' as such
> discussions tend to be completely useless and just means we end up
> staying with CVS due to lack of consensus for the forseeable future.
>
> The general agreement was that it was time to move on from CVS. We knew
> that there is wide agreement in the community about this. So the
> question came down to the kind of things that David listed.
>
> So if anyone wants to see GStreamer switch to something else than git,
> that is fine, but you need to start that discussion with two arguments:
>
> a) We (there needs to be more than one person knowing the system) are
> willing to spend the time and effort to do the conversion and help
> fellow developers with the conversion.
> b) This is something that the freedesktop sysadmins are able and willing
> to help us support.
>
> So while not everyone who where at the meeting loved git above
> everything else, the agreement was that if one wasn't willing or able to
> provide the above, one was only providing unconstructive stop energy.

Thanks, Christian - you said exactly what I wanted to say on this thread
and iterated the exact reason that I stopped resisting the people with
the energy and knowledge of git to actually move us there.

J.

Jan Schmidt <thaytan at noraisin.net>