[gst-devel] GStreamer switching to git

Ole André Vadla Ravnås oleavr at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 13:55:48 CEST 2008

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 12:52 PM, Sebastian Dröge
<slomo at circular-chaos.org> wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, den 10.07.2008, 01:49 +0300 schrieb Ole André Vadla
> Ravnås:
>> I strongly object to this decision, and for one specific technical
>> reason. git does not work acceptably on Windows, and this is caused by
>> the basic design of its UI. It's a collection of shell-scripts, and
>> thus it relies on MSYS or cygwin. Yes, it "works", but this is like
>> telling people that MS Office supports Linux because you can run it
>> through WINE.
>>
>> Doing GStreamer development on Windows has already got a high
>> threshold for newcomers because of things like autotools, so can we
>> please avoid switching our RCS to something equally orthogonal to
>> Windows?
>
> There are (apart from the msysgit implemention) two Mono SoC projects
> for implementing GIT in C#. This should also be usable on Windows, if
> msysgit isn't:
>
> http://code.google.com/soc/2008/mono/appinfo.html?csaid=E6D8A717A88A7632
> http://code.google.com/soc/2008/mono/appinfo.html?csaid=F2E71A4D93E7EF37

This looks really promising! I'm really looking forward to switching
from cvs as soon as it's usable (looks like the most promising effort
thus far). cvs is after all cvs, and anything distributed will be a
really good thing for the project IMO. :)

Cheers,
Ole André