[gst-devel] GStreamer switching to git

Sebastian Dröge slomo at circular-chaos.org
Thu Jul 10 11:52:30 CEST 2008

Am Donnerstag, den 10.07.2008, 01:49 +0300 schrieb Ole André Vadla
Ravnås:
> Hi all,
>
> As Julien pointed out there was a GStreamer summit at GUADEC on
> Sunday. Sadly for me I wasn't able to attend as I arrived in Istanbul
> one day too late. However, I just read Andy Wingo's blogpost[1] and
> was really surprised to learn about one topic discussed and decided
> upon there. It was decided to switch GStreamer from using CVS to git
> (as soon as some minor migration issues have been resolved).
>
> So then I feel inclined to ask; why was this decision made without any
> technical discussion with all interested parties in the community?
>
> I strongly object to this decision, and for one specific technical
> reason. git does not work acceptably on Windows, and this is caused by
> the basic design of its UI. It's a collection of shell-scripts, and
> thus it relies on MSYS or cygwin. Yes, it "works", but this is like
> telling people that MS Office supports Linux because you can run it
> through WINE.
>
> Doing GStreamer development on Windows has already got a high
> threshold for newcomers because of things like autotools, so can we
> please avoid switching our RCS to something equally orthogonal to
> Windows?

There are (apart from the msysgit implemention) two Mono SoC projects
for implementing GIT in C#. This should also be usable on Windows, if
msysgit isn't:

http://code.google.com/soc/2008/mono/appinfo.html?csaid=E6D8A717A88A7632
http://code.google.com/soc/2008/mono/appinfo.html?csaid=F2E71A4D93E7EF37