[gst-devel] problems with firewire port

Edward Hervey edward.hervey at collabora.co.uk
Mon Jul 28 15:37:49 CEST 2008

Hi,

On Mon, 2008-07-28 at 14:21 +0100, Valentina Messeri wrote:
> Quoting Edward Hervey <edward.hervey at collabora.co.uk>:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> >   Have you tried not specifying the port ? Unless you have several
> > cameras on your firewire port you don't need to specify it.
> >
> >   And a simpler way to test if you're getting anything from that source
> > is to try this:
> >   gst-launch-0.10 dv1394src ! fakesink
> >
> >   If that pipeline goes to playing, you're all set.
>

> ok:
>
>   vale at valedipiu:~$ gst-launch-0.10 dv1394src ! fakesinkSetting
> pipeline to PAUSED ...
> Pipeline is live and does not need PREROLL ...
> Setting pipeline to PLAYING ...
> New clock: GstSystemClock

  Fine, therefore your source works fine.

> but still "could not link dv1394src0 to dv" even if port is not specified....
>
> Can you use firewire port for any other pourpose? i mean can you
> suggets any other pipeline i can use for capture only? (sorry very
> newbie in gst...)
>

> >     Edward
> >
> > P.S. 'sudo gst-launch-0.10' <== BAD BAD BAD ! Change your user
> > privileges to be able to access that device as non-root.
>
> why? i mean why is that BAD?

  What if one of those plugins does something stupid (by mistake) and
tries to erase your hard drive ? Do you still want to run that pipeline
as root ?

  That pipeline of yours is overkill and deprecated also. the '{' '}'
style is from 0.8.
  You're using a dv decoder as if it was a demuxer (use dvdemux after
your source).

   Edward