[gst-devel] MP3, AAC and MPEG Audio codecs

Nitin Mahajan nitinm76 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 11 05:16:02 CEST 2008

Hello Micahel!

--- On Tue, 10/6/08, Michael Smith <msmith at xiph.org> wrote:

> From: Michael Smith <msmith at xiph.org>
> Subject: Re: [gst-devel] MP3, AAC and MPEG Audio codecs
> To: nitinm76 at yahoo.com
> Cc: gstreamer-devel at lists.sourceforge.net
> Date: Tuesday, 10 June, 2008, 10:24 PM
> On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 3:53 AM, Nitin Mahajan
> <nitinm76 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > HI!
> >
> > I tried to play MP3, AAC media files with gstreamer
> with gst-ffmpeg plugin. I could not play both of them.
>
> FFmpeg doesn't have an aac decoder, and the mp3 decoder
> is very bad.
> GStreamer won't autoplug the mp3 decoder, though you
> can use it if you
> build a pipeline manually.

Thanks for the exaplaination.

> There's a good quality mp3 decoder in gst-plugins-ugly
> ('mad'), and an
> aac decoder in gst-plugins-bad ('faad').

I would test them, but would you recommend gst-plugins-bad from Quality perspective?

> > Whether MP3 and AAC have been removed from ffmpeg in
> gst-ffmpeg? If, yes whether it has been removed from
> configuration or through source code?
> >
> > >From Quality and legal perspectives which ones
> would be the right set of plugins for MP3, AAC and MPEG
> Audio for playback purpose?
>
> From a legal perspective, you'll want to get a licensed
> decoder
> plugin. Fluendo has a free mp3 decoder plugin (fully
> licensed).

I will try Fluendo aslo, but whats your input on this Quality wise?

 You'll
> need to pay for any legal AAC decoder.

If I am paying the license, quality wise which one is a good AAC decoder plugin for gstreamer? Any decoder plugin can be created in gstreamer?

Thanks and regards

-Nitin