[gst-devel] First Plugin - Compiling and installation

Tim Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Fri Mar 7 10:20:51 CET 2008

On Fri, 2008-03-07 at 00:13 -0800, Ionut Dediu wrote:

> I am trying to get started with GStreamer plugin devel. I wrote a basic
>  plugin, based on the gst-template plugin. I compiled and installed it
>  with autogen.sh make and make install from the top directory. All
>  steps seem to be successful. However I want to inspect it using
>  gst-inspect mypluginname, but it gives me the following error: No such
>  element or plugin 'mypluginname'...

Chances are that the default prefix (/usr/local/) was used, so your
plugin got installed into /usr/local/lib/gstreamer-0.10/, while you're
using GStreamer packages which usually go into the /usr prefix and will
only look in /usr/lib/gstreamer-0.10/ for plugins.

You could try

 a) copying the plugin .so into ~/.gstreamer-0.10/plugins/
 b) use export GST_PLUGIN_PATH=/usr/local/lib/gstreamer-0.10/
 c) re-run autogen.sh or configure with --prefix=/usr (not recommended)

Cheers
 -Tim