[gst-devel] Comparing jpeg images

Florent fthiery at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 16:55:07 CET 2008

> One of the requirement of my application is to compare jpeg images.
> Does GStreamer has any support for this ?

What do you mean by comparing jpeg images ? Comparing the uncompressed
data (ex: motion detection), or changes in the compression settings /
huffman dict / etc... ?

Either way i don't think there's anything like that in GStreamer, not
to mention that a jpeg artifacts or captor noise could induce minor
differences even if images ar almost the sames, thus raising
differences where it's not the case.

Writing a basic image comparison plugin could be relatively easy to
do, yet i think you might be looking at image processing/vision libs
for further features (ex: OpenCV).

I don't know of any OpenCV GStreamer plugin, but i found this example
of integration:
http://www-nlpir.nist.gov/projects/tvpubs/tv6.papers/sao_paolo.pdf

Hope this helps

FLo