[gst-devel] Google Summer of Code: advanced OpenGL video mixer/renderer

Edward Hervey edward.hervey at collabora.co.uk
Thu Mar 20 19:16:26 CET 2008

On Thu, 2008-03-20 at 19:47 +0200, Attila Áfra wrote:
> >  Indeed this is a very interesting project.
> >
> >  I myself am investigating a similar one, based on the clutter
> >  framework (http://www.clutter-project.org) -- more animated video
> >  compositing oriented ; it can do offscreen rendering, supports FBOs
> >  and shaders already. Fluendo's Pigment API would be a very nice
> >  starting point as well (i'd be surprised if a pigment-based gst video
> >  mixing plugin isn't on a roadmap yet ;)
> >
> >  Would you mind giving more details ?
>
> I would like to concentrate more on video processing, and less on mixing.
> Usually a simple 2D alpha blending mixer is sufficient, and this is what I
> intend to make.

  I'm more than willing to mentor that ! We need good gpu-accelerated
plugins (and not sinks/applications) for generic use in all
gstreamer-based applications. PiTiVi would take one hell of a boost with
this.
  Maybe David (Schleef) has some more insight on how to best leverage
the existing work from the newly created gst-gl module.

> If you need a more complex (perhaps 3D with lots of special effects) mixer
> then you should implement that by yourself (or use a specialized library like
> Pigment or Clutter) and tell my library to render the video into a
> texture (similarly
> to VMR's renderless mode) without using its simple mixing capabilites. This
> way you can customize the mixer to your own needs.

Edward Hervey <edward.hervey at collabora.co.uk>
Collabora Multimedia