[gst-devel] Google Summer of Code: advanced OpenGL video mixer/renderer

Attila Áfra attila.afra at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 21:03:01 CET 2008

I would like to clarify a few things.

First of all, my library is designed for playback, not for general
purpose video processing. It will be able to do a limited, but very
important set of operations required for high quality playback:
colorspace conversion, color correction, resampling, deinterlacing,
inverse telecine, noise reduction, etc. In terms of features it will
be quite similar to EVR which is part of Microsoft's Media Foundation
(http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms694197.aspx), but I don't
want it to be dependent on any media framework. Because of this, I
want to start the project from scratch.

I want the library to have a monolithic design (one big module), which
has several advantages, but disadvantages too. The biggest advantages
are performance (thanks to special internal optimizations), API
simplicity and better portability (OpenGL 3, CUDA, CTM, Direct3D,
Larrabee-like many-core processors, etc). In my opinion the only
disadvantage worth mentioning is that it will not be possible to
easily extend it with new fancy filters/effects, but in the case of
real-time video playback I believe it's not really important.

So, the bridge between this library and GStreamer would be a video sink.