[gst-devel] gsoc 2008

Edward Hervey bilboed at gmail.com
Sat Mar 22 22:25:15 CET 2008

Farkas,

On Sat, 2008-03-22 at 21:49 +0200, Stefan Kost wrote:
> hi,
>
> Farkas Levente schrieb:
> > hi,
> > we found gstreamer is a very promising project for linux. unfortunately
> > is far from complete and robust. i've got a few student who would like
> > to take part in gsoc in this year and one of the most interesting
> > project would be to further develop and fix gstreamer. we think about
> > one or two student (but it can be even 4) to make the video part better.
> > - write more source filter for different hardware component like
> > multichannel grabber card and tv card,

  Can you give some examples of what tv cards ? Don't they already have
v4l or v4l2 support ?

> > - decoder and encoder card support,

  What cards ?

> > - ip camera support native or trough rtp,

  Can you give examples of what cameras you have in mind ? The rtp stack
has been tested quite a lot with rtp cameras (including by one of the
biggest ip-camera manufacturer).

> > - fix the current rtp code. as we test it currently gstreamer crash with
> > real rtp source like ip camera while mplayer, vlc and xine works fine.
> > or even do a clean rtp implementation since the current code depends on
> >  ffmpeg.

  what do you mean by "real rtp source" ? What crashes are you
experiencing ? What operatin system are you running ? What version of
gstreamer and plugins are you using ? Furthermore the gstreamer rtp
implementation does *NOT* depend on ffmpeg. I don't know how you came to
that conclusion.

> > - and the most important to do a lots of fixes to make gstreamer more
> > robust.

  What kind of fixes do you have in mind ?