[gst-devel] Query about Seek Event on the sink pad of a sink

Edward Hervey bilboed at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 10:18:46 CET 2008

Hi,

On Tue, 2008-11-04 at 16:57 +0800, Zheng, Huan wrote:
> Hi, Dear developers
>
> I’m encountering a problem when I trying to send a seek event to the
> sink pad of a self written sink (just call it mysink) which is derived
> from GstBaseSink
>
> It looks like the event handler even doesn’t response to the seek
> event.
>
> I think the issues may due to the event direction mechanism of
> GStreamer.

  Yes, because you can NOT send events (like seek) that can't go in the
same direction as the pad you're sending to (sinkpad is downstream, seek
events are upstream).

> So,my question is, is it possible to send a seek event to the sink pad
> of a sink, and let it create a seek event send to upstream?

  No because of the above.

  The proper way to do this is to send the event... to the sink element
itself (gst_element_send_event(...)).

> My goal is: send a seek event which contains time_cur->time_stop info
> to mysink, and mysink will handle it and tell upstream filesrc to seek
> to new location.
>

> Thanks for your response!

   Edward