[gst-devel] Real framerate display

Florent fthiery at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 03:27:00 CEST 2009

Hello

> I develop a benchmark and performance test application based on gstreamer.
> Is there a plugin or a way to display/output real fps from the playback. Any
> other meaningful metric that can be used for evaluating performance is
> useful also. Thanks.

You could use identity (which you can insert anywhere in your
pipeline), and connect the signals "handoff":
* wo a callback incrementing a counter you reset every second, which
will give you second-scale fps average measurement
* to a callback measuring difference beween consecutive timestamps,
which will give you instantaneous fps measure (fps will be
1/difference)

If you are only interested in pure display/playback performance
measurement, you could take a look at QoS events' timestamps emitted
from sinks (see gstreamer/docs/design/part-qos.txt).

For memory/cpu usage, you could use standard system calls or /proc parsings.

I hope this helps. Maybe there are better ways to do this... Can you
elaborate on the kind of performance you would like to measure ?

Florent