[gst-devel] type-finding and registering question

franchan francis.meyvis at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 13:58:13 CEST 2009

Hello,

I have a "custom" build gstreamer plugins-bad/good/ugly/ffmpeg.
I try to disable during the ./configure as much as possible unwanted plugins.
This is to speed up building gstreamer.

Still in the gstreamer trace I see many messages related
to "registering" during the initialization stage of gstreamer library.
Can this be turned of (the registration, not the tracing)?
What is the drawback of not registering the plug-ins?
Can't there be a cache to speed up this process?
Can the set of plug-ins to be used hard-coded
if one knows the type of containers and formats is a small subset
of everything that gstreamer supports through its bad/good/ugly plug-ins?
(I mean apart from trying to fine tine ./configure through its disable-xyz)
I experimented by removing shared libraries and this seems
to help a bit, is the a recommended approach?

The same is for the type finding phase when using the playbin.
If the number of container and media formats is only a little subset
(e.g. MP4/MPEG TS/h264/h263/aac/mpeg1)
is there a way to reduce the type finding process,
so it is restricted to these types?

Perhaps the typefinding is coupled with
the mime types of the registered bad/good/ugly plug-ins?
For instance is type finding for ogg disabled if its plug-in does not exist?

Can the typefinding process be influence through gstreamer functions?
Or only by modifying the source code?
Why is typefinding code for a specific encoder separated
from the specific plug-in that handles this encoding?
(because a specific encoding might be implemented by several different
plug-ins?)

Thanks,
francis