[gst-devel] keyframes from a video

kitone kitone at free.fr
Mon Aug 3 18:36:37 CEST 2009

Hi,

>  - if GST_BUFFER_FLAG_DELTA_UNIT is set this means that the buffer
> does *not* contain a key frame

Yes, I've make a mistake in my explanation. It's more like that:

if(!buffer->flag_is_set(Gst::BUFFER_FLAG_DELTA_UNIT))
{
  // it's a keyframe
}

>  - decodebin outputs decoded raw video frames; I don't think the
> semantics of keyframe/not-keyframe are very well defined for raw video
> frames. I would not rely on decoders flagging their output buffers
> consistently one way or another or at all
>
>  - you are likely to get better results if you check for keyframes on
> buffers before they go into the decoder
>
> > Is there an another way to get all keyframes from a video?
>
>  - I guess GstIndex would theoretically be the right way to get to
> this kind of information (idea is that demuxer or whatever populate
> the index object with the information), but I don't think this is
> supported very well, or at all, in most of our elements. Not sure
> what plans are here (ie. if GstIndex support should be implemented
> widely, or if a new API / mechanism should be found etc.)
>
>  Cheers
>   -Tim

So from what you said, my current solution can be improve and it's
currently the only one, since the GstIndex is not used and there is not
really a specialized API for this.

I will try to make improvements from your comments, thanks.

Best regards,
kitone