[gst-devel] Playbin and Gtk

João Paulo Mafra jpmneofito at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 17:59:18 CEST 2009

Hi all,

I'm trying to make a small video player with Gstreamer and Gtk. I've seen
the blog post on
http://tristanswork.blogspot.com/2008/09/fullscreen-video-in-gstreamer-with-gtk.htmland
it helped me a lot. But I need to show real videos, and after I did
read
the Gstreamer documentation, I figured out that I should use Playbin to
display the videos the simpler way. I modified the example I found on the
blog to use
Playbin instead of a handmade pipeline. When I run the application I have
made, it only displays the Gtk window, without the video that should be on
it. No output, no error.

The code is as below:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

#include <gst/gst.h>
#include <gtk/gtk.h>
#include <gst/interfaces/xoverlay.h>
#include <gdk/gdk.h>
#include <gdk/gdkx.h>

static gboolean expose_callback(GtkWidget *widget, GdkEventExpose *event,
gpointer data){
    gst_x_overlay_set_xwindow_id(GST_X_OVERLAY(data),
GDK_WINDOW_XWINDOW(widget->window));
    return TRUE;
}

int main(int argc, char** argv) {
    GstStateChangeReturn ret;
    GMainLoop *loop;
    GstElement *play, *sink;
    GtkWidget *window;

    /* init GStreamer */
    gst_init (&argc, &argv);
    gtk_init (&argc, &argv);
    loop = g_main_loop_new (NULL, FALSE);

    /* set up */
    play = gst_element_factory_make ("playbin", "play");

    sink = gst_element_factory_make("xvimagesink", "videosink");
    if (!sink)
        g_print ("output could not be found - check your install\n");

    g_object_set (G_OBJECT (play), "video-sink", sink, NULL);
    g_object_set (G_OBJECT (play), "uri",
"file:///home/jp/SpiritOfUbuntu.ogv", NULL);

    window = gtk_window_new(GTK_WINDOW_TOPLEVEL);
    g_signal_connect(G_OBJECT(window), "expose-event",
G_CALLBACK(expose_callback), sink);

    gtk_widget_show_all(window);

    gst_element_set_state (play, GST_STATE_PLAYING);
    if (ret == GST_STATE_CHANGE_FAILURE) {
        g_print ("Failed to start up pipeline!\n");
    }

    /* now run */
    g_main_loop_run (loop);

    /* also clean up */
    gst_element_set_state (play, GST_STATE_NULL);
    gst_object_unref (GST_OBJECT (play));

    return (EXIT_SUCCESS);
}

Any help will be very apreciated.