[gst-devel] How to determine buffer size arriving at the sink

Tiago Katcipis katcipis at inf.ufsc.br
Fri Aug 7 17:01:59 CEST 2009

My problem seens to be simple but im having some problem on resolving it. Im
streaming audio but when i use an alaw decoder the size of the audio packets
that arrive at my appsink are enormous (something like 10k each buffer) and
this is giving me some problems, i want to determine the size of the buffers
that arrives at appsink, but appsink blocksize property seens to be
completely useless, and the filesrc / gnomevfssrc blocksize seens to be
useless to, the size os my buffers dont change when i use blocksize. It is
interesting that when i use decodebin on adpcm ima the size of the buffers
are small (great for me), it seens that someone on decodebin for ima adpcm
does this for me, but i cant do it on alaw decoding.

i started to try some things and i noticed this:

gst-launch audiotestsrc ! progressreport ! appsink

this launch will report 5 seconds each, but if i run this

gst-launch audiotestsrc ! progressreport ! appsink sync=false

it will report thousands of seconds each buffer. It has something to do with
the clock but im not being able to control it. can someone give me a lead on
the best way to determine the size of the arriving buffer on my appsink ?

best regards
Katcipis

--
"it might be a profitable thing to learn Java, but it has no intellectual
value whatsoever" Alexander Stepanov