[gst-devel] question about GstClock not set

Julien Isorce julien.isorce at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 16:40:59 CEST 2009

Hi,

I attach to this mail a minimal test to provide a gstreamer behaviour that I
do not understand.

Actually, I would like to know why the clock can be not set yet whereas some
buffers are dispatched.
I mean I put an identity element between a videotestsrc and a fakesink,
and I am checking the clock availability in the identity handoff callback.

Why am I able to get raw video buffers from handoff callback whereas no
clock is set on identity yet ?
Moreover in this case the timestamp buffer is valid, but I assume this
timestamp was set by the internal clock.
I can understand that the internal clock was already there before playing,
and I can also understand that the internal clock is affected on elements
only when going to playing state (or at least ready).
But I think the clock should be always available from a handoff callback, at
least if the buffer timestamp is valid.

( to compile the test: gcc -Wall $(pkg-config --cflags --libs
gstreamer-0.10) main.c -o main )

(output:

identity has clock: *0*, timestamp is valid: *1*
pipeline is now playing
new clock set from: pipeline
identity has clock: 1, timestamp is valid: 1
identity has clock: 1, timestamp is valid: 1
identity has clock: 1, timestamp is valid: 1
identity has clock: 1, timestamp is valid: 1
identity has clock: 1, timestamp is valid: 1
identity has clock: 1, timestamp is valid: 1
identity has clock: 1, timestamp is valid: 1
identity has clock: 1, timestamp is valid: 1
identity has clock: 1, timestamp is valid: 1
End of stream

)

Sincerely

Julien