[gst-devel] Fwd: FFMPEG gstreamer plugin

Ronald S. Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Fri Aug 28 00:52:54 CEST 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: kkumar s <kumars2007 at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 6:10 PM
Subject: FFMPEG gstreamer plugin
To: rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net

Hi,
   I'm a new bie to gstreamer and I'm trying to use the gstreamer
ffmpeg plugin.  I had some very basic questions.  I am using an ubuntu
system and I can download  gstreamer-ffmpeg plugin
through synaptic package manager, which gets installed in
usr/lib/gstreamer.10  directory.  But I would prefer to build it
myself so that I can make some changes to the libavcodec library.

When I tried building the gst-ffmpeg plugin ,  do I need to do  a
configure and make from the root directory or should I do it from the
gst-libs/ext/ffmpeg directory as well .

I tried configure and build from the root directory and got a
libgsffmpeg.so which was very huge ( 10 times) the size I got from the
pre-built library through synaptic.

Can you please let me know what I am doing wrong here?  Also how do I
make my gstreamer application use   the library that I built , instead
of the ones I installed through the package manager ?
Is it just one library or there are many libraryies I need to worry about .

thanks,
kumar.