[gst-devel] would my app be possible with gstreamer?

Stefan Kost ensonic at hora-obscura.de
Fri Dec 11 22:30:59 CET 2009

hi,

Am 09.12.2009 19:55, schrieb mariano:
> Hi,
> Following your suggestion at apps section
> <http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/apps/> in the page, I write to ask if
> the app that we have in mind is possible with gstreamer.
>
> The idea is to manage data and media from different sources, in a graph
> where each element/node could be scripted, for example with conditions
> for triggering them depending on pipeline global variables.
> For example, depending on what happens inside an element, to transform
> and send the result data to one source pad or another (branching) or
> keep on processing the same element till it receives a signal/event from
> outside (conditional looping).
> Being able to receive events from this sources, would also be really
> indispensable, but as far as I know, that's completely possible.

Its still quite vague what you want to do :/ What kind of processing? What does
it mean to "keep on processing the same element" and so on.

> We would also like to "talk" to different pieces of hardware, each one
> with an specific protocol, for example copperlan, osc, midi, ad-hoc
> serial-based protocols and so on. The app would play as a translator and
> mapper between all these heterogeneous data.

This is something that you need to implement. Also be aware that even though gst
is format agnostic, I don't know of examples that actually send midi/osc from
element to element (in case that is what you want to do). It should be perfectly
fine to hookup osc to parameters on elements.

> We also have kind of a big requirement on using Qt as the GUI framework,
> I guess that would be also possible, but I could not find any
> non-trivial resources on this subject.

Yes, having some qt examples (especially how to handle the glib mainloop) would
be nice to have - imho gst-plugin-gl has some qt example.

Stefan